Music is the elixir to ears, mind, and soul. Listening to music is the most therapeutic thing that one can do for self-care. With modern day technology and everchanging new applications, the previous best friend of music lovers, the radio, is completely out of the spotlight.
While we reminisce the days, we used to hold the stereos and radios close to our ears (and heart) and drown into the music as small children, we no longer possess the devices and have moved on to Spotify and other music apps. But, we should all try to hold on to our past, and heritage, thus, the innovations of science have brought in radios in the scene.
Now, radios are attached with headphones for you to listen to your favourite channels while doing literally anything and everything in your daily life. These headsets are an amazing way to get back to the old habit of listening and giggling over radio jockeys and connecting with music, all over again. Since there are a lot of companies who are manufacturing and selling radio headsets, here are the top 12 products along with their specifications and a buying guide for AM/PM radio headsets.
The Best Radio Headsets
This radio muff comes with a digital display that has a low battery indicator along with an input Jack for MP3. It has a built-in radio with hearing protection and channel memory function. This also has an extra wide headband with soft padding for noise reduction. The dimensions of this product are 3.5 inches, 8 inches and 5.2 inches. Both the FM and the AM reception and wonderfully clear. All you need to do is read the instructions in the user manual and you will be good to go and use this device all day. About 2 alkaline AAA batteries are required to run this device.
- It weighs about 11 ounces.
- There is a switch key and an easy to adjust volume knob.
- The noise reduction rating is of 25 bB.
- You can also fit and connect it with your iPod or android phone.
- There are provisions for headset alarm clocks also in this device.
- The battery compartment is extremely easy to access along with the compartment door being sturdy and the battery is very easy to change.
- This device however is a bit tight for many, and the noise cancellation often doesn’t do enough justice to the music.
The WorkTunes Hearing Protector Wired Earphone has ear protection for mowing, snow blowing, construction, and workshops. The noise reduction rating in this is of 24 dB. It promises amazing AM/FM radio performance along with a bass boost option for enhanced listening and music experience. There is an auto-scanning option that helps in finding and saving the favourite radio stations while listening to them. The dimensions of this product are 4 inches, 6.8 inches, and 10 inches. It weighs around 2 pounds. Two double A batteries are required to use this device. It is wireless and thus extremely convenient for heavy outdoor work and exercise. This product also has a guarantee of 1 year.
- The new advanced technology of auto assist helps in programming over 50 AM and FM channels or radio stations and also includes a low battery indicator.
- You can easily plug in and connect your iPod or smartphone with this device to enjoy your favourite songs in the radio headset itself.
- The controls are extremely user-friendly and very easy and convenient to use.
- The rugged design is extensively meant for everyday rough use.
- Once the timer exhausts or the battery is relatively low, the device automatically shuts down so that the life of the batteries extend as well as the device has a better longevity.
- Due to multiple heavy features, it consumes a lot of battery power and thus requires frequent change or recharge of batteries.
This radio headset has an LCD display that auto searches radio stations on your behalf. There is clear digital stereo radio reception with about 10 preset stations or radio frequencies that you can obviously customize and edit and manage according to your preference. If you are working in industries like aviation, farming, construction, transportation, military, steel and lumber, law enforcement, sports, manufacturing, contracting, and DIY projects, this is the perfect fit for you. The volume management technology is also extraordinary. The technical things required are a 3.5 mm AUX jack, cable, and 2 AA batteries. The Noise Reduction Rating is of 25.
- There is a special volume memory for personal on-the-job listening experience so that you don’t have to find the perfect sound every time.
- There is Hi-Viz bright green earcups along with a special reflective headband to increase employee visibility and also promote greater safety while working in low light conditions or in a bad weather.
- There is patented air flow control technology that produces sound across all frequencies and does not increase the size of the ear cup making in light-weight and padded for comfort.
- The headband is made of leather and thus it is not the best thing for work at outdoors under the sun for longer durations.
RadioShack Stereo Headset Radio is one of the best of its kind. You can use the headset in order to listen to any MP3 player or other audio device just with a standard ⅛” audio cable. There are about 20 presets of ten each from AM and FM that you can set and manage. The dimensions of this product are 9 inches, 8 inches, and 5 inches. This device weighs around 14 ounces. The product requires two triple A batteries for functioning.
- There is a digital auto tuner and LED display to find stations immediately and conveniently.
- This device lets you enjoy your favourite songs and shows on the radio without having to carry one with you all the time.
- The headset can easily be used as a multi-purpose headphone as it can be connected to almost all kinds of electronic products.
- The audio jack is versatile but rather uncommon in the upcoming devices.
Honeywell Sync is this digital AM FM MP3 radio earmuff that comes with ear protection that is designed to block out a limit loud work noise. The earmuffs provide high-fidelity audio and does not compromise any hearing protection. It is possible to connect MP3 players mobile phones and other personal listening devices with the AUX input Jack along the cable. The right way design is extremely comfortable and convenient for using this device everyday all day. snap in year questions allow easy maintenance and replacement along with good comfort. The sides are in the shape of reinforced fork that provides additional strength and padded headband.
- There is a digital AM FM tuning mechanism, along with an auto search LCD display so that operating this device is very convenient.
- There is a patented air flow control technology that promises to deliver optimal attenuation and comfort.
- The earcup design is slim and padded for ensuring long-time usage comfort.
- The FM AM tuning allows one to listen to the fabulous stations, music, news, and sports.
- Excellent audio that is delivered by this device is due to the high fidelity digital stereo radio reception.
- This item is excellent but is more expensive than the other similar competitive products.
This is a Bluetooth enabled radio headset that sets your life free and your music wire free. The safe volume control technology is amazing and secure for your ears. They will prevent any damage or harm. There are almost eight different preset channels available with this device. Features like auto search and frequency scanning function with built-in antenna and high reception sensitivity is available.
- The bluetooth wireless technology is one of the most unique features of this product that distinguishes it from the rest of the similar and competitive companies.
- the audio system technology plays a major role in providing fewer convenient easy and comfortable music listening and enjoying experience.
- The Rotary tuning dial is also one of the major USPS of this product.
- All the important controls are on the headset itself.
- The weight of this product is a bit more than the rest of the similar products as it weighs around 1.3 pounds.
WorkTunes, the company famous for manufacturing radio headsets have another astonishing design in their stock, namely, WorkTunes Connect Hearing Protector. It has Noise Reduction Rating of 24 dB. It is equipped with modern and upgraded bluetooth wireless technology so that your music is wireless and free. It also adds a nifty feature like voice assist to help navigate through your music.
- The 40 mm high fidelity speakers provide amazing an extraordinary quality of sound and noise reduction for the best music listening experience.
- The special feature of integrated microphone also allows you to take or receive calls without removing the headset or finding your phone.
- It has single button interface and is exceptionally light-weight, low profile basic designed but comfortable and cosy for regular use. It is cord as well as antenna free.
- Sufficient rechargeable batteries are pre-installed in this device.
- It doesn’t come with a headband.
Working in a noisy environment for a long period of time can cause serious hearing problems in the long run. The 3M Digital Worktunes AM-FM Stereo lets you cancel out all that noise while at the same time, listen to your favourite radio channels. This product is built for job sites and workshops and is rather sturdy. It also comes in a bright yellow and black color which makes it look very modern and stylish. This product probably has the best quality of sound, with its bass boost technology, to make sure that your musical experience is perfect. This is one of the very few products that perfectly balance safety and entertainment.
- This product is extremely good looking.
- It has been built for the workshop and is extremely durable.
- It comes with voice assist.
- It also has a bass boost technology.
- It is compatible with MP3 devices and scanners.
- It contains a decibel limiter and is light and easy to use.
- The product can be a little tight on the head for larger customers.
The Safety Works Digital Radio Ear muffs are among the very best in the world. This is one product that will keep your ear drums safe and at the same time make sure that you can enjoy some beautiful music at your job. If your job requires you to drill or mow, you would know how difficult and harmful all the noise is. The Safety Works Digital radio ear muffs have been tested and certified by a third-party laboratory and additionally also meets OSHA noise reduction regulations and standards. This product has a small digital display and very comfortable and handy buttons to control the volume and to browse through the FM-AM channels. It also allows you to plug it to an external music player like an iPod or your mobile phone and play music.
- It has received certification from third-party testers.
- The product meets all regulations and standards as set by OSHA.
- The volume of the MP3 player does not increase beyond a certain limit.
- The product is made to last.
- It can be used to play music from an MP3 player or your phone.
- The reception for the AM-FM channels seems to fluctuate, even from nearby channels.
The GSM Outdoor GWP-RDOM is one of the best radio headsets available in the market. Walkers Game Ear is famous for its hearing protection aids for hunting and shooting and has now come up with this AM/FM Radio muff so that you can be entertained on the go no matter what it is that you are doing. This particular headset comes with a built-in radio and a switch key for the volume. It has a channel memory function which can save up to 8 channels, allowing you to quickly switch between the different channels. It even comes with a nifty little digital screen that even provides low battery indication. If you want to listen to the music that you have stored in your device, you can connect your device with this headset via a 3.5mm MP3 input jack.
- The headset is very comfortable and has a soft padded wide headband.
- It provides high levels of noise cancellation.
- It runs on two triple A batteries and has a low battery indicator.
- It has a clear digital display that shows the current channel and the level of battery.
- The product has been found to have a short lifespan and the batteries run out quick.
If you have a boring repetitive job and are looking for something that will entertain you on the go, the HYSKORE Over and Out AM/FM hearing protector is just the product for you. It runs on two double A batteries and has a concealed antenna which can connect to any nearby AM or FM stations for you to listen to their music. This additionally has a class leading Noise Reduction Rate of 21 and protects your hearing like no other headset. If you cannot find any song that you like, playing in the local radio stations, you can always plug your iPod or your mobile phone into the headset using the 3.5mm MP3 jack and listen to the songs of your choice.
- This product runs on double A batteries, which are easy to procure.
- It has a wide and comfortable headband which lets you use this for hours.
- It supports both FM/AM and MP3 music.
- It offers a class-leading noise reduction rate.
- The over and out can be used as secondary amplification by turning up the volume.
- It has an antenna concealed in the headband.
- It is a rather large product and many people find it unnecessarily big and bulky.
If you work at a construction zone or some area which is extremely noisy, and want AM/FM headphones to listen to music, the OPD AM FM radio earmuff headphones should be the product you choose. It offers an unparalleled noise reduction rate of 24 decibels and is specially designed for high noise areas. It comes with beautiful and elegant yellow muffs which sit on a cushioned and adjustable stainless-steel headband. Additionally, it gets a smart little LED screen which can be used to scan or seek up to 8 radio stations that you can save and directly jump to. The headset is powered by two double A batteries and can also be connected to an iPod or any external mobile device using the MP3 jack.
- It comes with a very bright LED digital display.
- It can save up to 8 AM or FM radio stations.
- It can be connected to external MP3 devices.
- It has a noise reduction rate of 24 decibels.
- It has a very comfortable and extendable cushioned stainless-steel headband.
- It looks rather cool and will be appealing to the younger generation.
- The quality of the material feels flimsy and cheap.
Buying Guide for Radio Headsets
While there are hundreds, if not thousands of products to choose from, it is important that you keep in mind what you need and choose accordingly. Radio headsets are a new thing and proper research should be done before buying or choosing your product because none of us wants to waste our hard-earned money. Thus, it is important that you know about a few things or features to look into while buying your radio headset. Here is a list of the major thing you should be looking at while making your decision.
- Size: The size of the headphones is very important because there are various appropriate sizes for particular places and activities like gym, working out, office, relaxation, etc.
- Brand: The brand of the headset obviously plays an extremely important role as the better the brand the more the guarantee of a quality product.
- Price: Price obviously plays the most important role in all our financial decisions because we can’t buy what we can’t afford. Also, too expensive products are often not worth it and we should be careful to not get driven away by salesmen and their luscious deals.
- Connectivity: Connectivity of a radio headset is important because whether you want a wired headset or a wireless one is a big decision to make which will be governed by things like what will be your way of using, place of using, and adjacent activities.
- Ear Fittings: Ear fitting refers to whether the headset will be over the ear, on the ear or in the ear. This choice is majorly governed by your own preferences and comfort.
Radios deserve more than just being in history. And we are here to take care for it and to make sure technology doesn’t forget radio heads, rather upgrade them. The modernization or rather the fourth wave of industrialization that deals with internet and technology in mass media is growing. It brought back the radio systems which are automatically connected and attached to headphones so that we can spend our days in ease and convenience, just the way we like it.